As Organizations Move from Analog to VoIP, the Versatile Polycom® SoundStation Duo™ Conference Phone Protects Investments by Operating in Both Environments
PLEASANTON, Calif. - Oct 04, 2011 : Polycom, Inc., the global leader in standards-based unified communications (UC), today unveiled a new conference phone that works with both analog networks and Voice over IP (VoIP) environments.
Polycom® SoundStation Duo™ addresses a growing demand among organizations of all sizes that need to upgrade or expand their existing circuit-switched networks, but are hesitant to purchase phones that will become obsolete once they move to VoIP. Paul Waadevg, principal consultant at Frost & Sullivan said, "The analog to IP transition is progressing as expected. IP systems accounted for 79.5 percent of 2010 market revenues and the share of analog revenue is expected to shrink to less than 7 percent at the end of 2017."
Designed for use in small to midsize meeting rooms of up to 400 square feet, Polycom SoundStation Duo is the industry's most versatile conference phone, delivering an array of benefits including:
- Built-in investment protection. Companies can use SoundStation Duo in analog or VoIP mode, and keep it up-to-date with simple online software upgrades.
- Business continuity. In case of a VoIP network failure, the phone automatically switches to analog mode when connected to an analog line, and resumes VoIP mode when the connection is reactivated.
- Robust interoperability. The phone supports multiple VoIP call platforms to maximize voice quality and feature availability, allowing for easy connectivity to other UC devices.
- Simple set up and administration. A new web configuration tool makes the phone easy to set up without the assistance of an IT resource. The tool is shared across the entire Polycom VoIP product line, which simplifies the job of managing and configuring all of an organization's Polycom VoIP phones.
- Ease of use. With its straightforward, proven user interface, SoundStation Duo maintains Polycom's reputation for delivering phones that work the way people expect them to.
- Flexibility. Users can connect to mobile phones, tablets and desktop PCs with Polycom® RealPresence™ software.
"The Polycom SoundStation Duo is the one conference phone that can address present and future call needs without asking us to make a single sacrifice in call quality, features, administration or ease of use," said Hidetaka Oki, manager of the UNIVERGE Support Center at NEC Corporation, Japan. "As we transition to IP features and quality in every meeting room, this future-proof choice for a conference phone is the ideal solution for us to deploy at sites that have both legacy analog as well as IP network environments."
The Industry's Most Advanced IP Endpoint Software
SoundStation Duo is built around Polycom's legendary performance and design, incorporating proven innovations that have made Polycom conference phones the industry standard for clear, productive conference calls, and are a fixture in meeting rooms worldwide. The new phone uses Polycom's advanced VoIP endpoint software to enable superior call handling, security and provisioning. Three microphones allow for 360-degree voice pick-up from as far as 10 feet away, and connect with other VoIP phones via Polycom® HD Voice™ for more natural and vibrant conversations. And with other features such as Polycom® Acoustic Clarity™ that provides the latest in echo cancellation and resistance to mobile phone and wireless device interference, the SoundStation Duo conference phone delivers unrivaled group conferencing experiences without distractions.
"Polycom SoundStation Duo offers unparalleled investment protection for organizations trying to straddle the demands of their current analog network versus the near-term prospects of having to invest in VoIP equipment," said Cullen Childress, vice president of Product Management at Polycom. "And with our new web configuration tool, we're making it easier than ever for an organization to administer its Polycom IP phones. This is great news for those small- to medium-sized businesses that have the desire to join enterprises in the VoIP migration but that lack the budget for dedicated IT resources. Now the industry has a conference phone built for today and outfitted for tomorrow."
Pricing & Availability
The Polycom SoundStation Duo conference phone is available today in select countries worldwide through certified Polycom reseller partners at US$849.